1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation Bungarimbil Boys' Home (1957 - 1983)
- Anglican, Care Provider and Children's Home
- Alternative Names
- Bungarimbil Boys' Farm Home (also referred to as)
- Edna Burgmann Boys' Home (also referred to as)
[Taken from the New South Wales publication Connecting Kin: Guide to Records]
Bungarimbil Boys' Home was founded by the Anglican Church at Tumbarumba in 1957, after Mrs Jean McLeod, who had been planning a boys' home since 1949, donated her homestead to the Church.
The home, which later became known as Bungarimbil Children's Home, operated until 1983.
In March 2013 'Bungarimbil' was for sale as an eight bedroom, 54 square metre house on nine acres.
[Taken from 'Bungarimbil Boys' Home', available at http://www.clan.org.au/homes_details.php?homesID=348, accessed 2 May 2011]
Bungarimbil Boys' Home began as a vision of Mrs. J. Macleod, when in 1949 she transferred by deed of gift 937 acres to the Church Property Trust, and later, further property, together with the Bungarimbil homestead and outbuildings.
On November 2, 1950, Bishop K. J. Clements spoke of Bungarimbil and the meaning it would hold for Tumbarumba ‑ 'at present we are just cleaning up, but when the time comes to build, it will be a great, real home, warm, staffed by devoted Christian persons, willing to give their lives in that service.'
In 1951, at the time of her death, it was learnt that Mrs. Macleod had willed the adjoining property to the Church. By early 1957 the Bungarimbil Boys' Farm Home had the first intake of boys. The arrival of the eight Locke boys in the September took the number to twelve. Bungarimbil was staffed by house parents. An auxiliary provided amenities for the home.
In April, 1961, a contract was signed for the building of a second home at the cost of $32,000. The opening of the new 52 sq. Edna Burgmann Boys' Home took place on 25th November, 1961, and was dedicated by Bishop K. J. Clements. The official 'turning of the key' was performed by Mrs. Clements.
A bequest of $30,000 from the Estate of the late Mrs. Ruby Woodhouse has recently been made available to the Church Property Trust, the interest to be used for the Bungarimbil Boys' Home.
- 1957 - 1983
- Bungarimbil Boys' Home situated at 710 Taradale Road, Tumbarumba. Location: Tumbarumba
1957 - 1983 Bungarimbil Boys' Home
? - 1983 Bungarimbil Children's Home
c. 1989 - Bungarimbil Adolescent and Family Care Program
Records Managed by
- PRD Nationwide Orange, '710 Taradale Road, Tumbarumba, NSW 2653', in realestateview, Realestateview.com.au, http://www.realestateview.com.au/Real-Estate/710-taradale-rd-tumbarumba/Property-Details-buy-residential-2366725.html. Details
- Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/DOCSWR/_assets/main/documents/connectkin_guide.pdf. Details
- Bungarimbil Boys' Home
- Care Leavers Australia Network [CLAN]
Sources used to compile this entry: Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/DOCSWR/_assets/main/documents/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing & Naomi Parry
Created: 4 March 2011, Last modified: 26 April 2013