• Organisation

Holmbush

Details

Holmbush was the first residential accommodation operated by Melbourne Legacy, and was established in 1942. It accommodated boys aged between 9 and 19, usually attending secondary school. In 1956, Holmbush became known as Blamey House.

Holmbush was for children aged 9 to 19. It was located not far from another Legacy home, Stanhope (1245 Burke Road).

Residents of Holmbush and other Legacy homes were the children of deceased ex-servicemen. Sometimes residents at Legacy homes were both children of ex-servicemen and wards of state.

In 1956, Holmbush changed its name to Blamey House. Blamey House had previously been located in Black Rock (from 1949 until 1956). The children from Blamey House Black Rock moved into the property at 1267 Burke Road Kew in 1956.

  • From

    1942

  • To

    1956

Locations

  • 1942 - 1956?

    Holmbush was located at 1267 Burke Road, Kew, Victoria (Building Demolished)

Chronology

Image

Contact Find & Connect

Save page