• Organisation

Male Orphan School

Details

The Male Orphan School was established by Governor Macquarie in 1819 to house destitute boys aged between seven and ten. It was located on George Street, Sydney, in the former premises of the Female Orphan School. The boys were given a basic education, learned trades such as carpentry, hat and shoe making, and, from 1923, farm skills. In 1823 the School relocated to Cabramatta to a farm previously used to provide the Female Orphan School with crops and a source of income. In 1850, the Male Orphan School and the Female Orphan School came together to form the Protestant Orphan School in Parramatta. The Male Orphan School closed on 30 April 1850.

  • From

    1819

  • To

    1850

Locations

  • 1819 - c. 1823

    The Male Orphan School was situated on George Street, Sydney, New South Wales (Building Demolished)

  • 1823 - 1850

    The Male Orphan School was situated off Elizabeth Drive, Cabramatta, New South Wales (Building Still standing)

Chronology

Contact Find & Connect

Save page