• Organisation

Ministering Children's League Convalescent Home

Details

The Ministering Children’s League Convalescent Home was established in 1900 in Evandale, before relocating to St Leonards in 1906. It provided short-term convalescent care to sick children. The Home closed in 1953.

The Ministering Children’s League Convalescent Home provided short-term convalescent care to children in Tasmania. It was established by the Launceston Branch of the Ministering Children’s League in 1900, first operating out of rented premises near Evandale before moving to a property known as “Maplestead” (and later called “Chegworth”) in St. Leonards in 1906.

The Home housed up to 10 children at a time. It accepted girls between the ages of three and 13, and boys between the ages of three and seven. Children typically stayed at the home for a fortnight, however some children remained at the home longer, depending on their illness and condition. By 1944 almost 4000 children had stayed at the home. According to reports in The Mercury in 1939 and 1944 it was the only home of its kind in Northern Tasmania. The home was funded entirely by charitable donations, however the State Government did issue free railway passes for children travelling to and from the home when necessary. The home closed in May 1953 due to a shortage of funds.

  • From

    1900

  • To

    1953

Locations

  • 1900 - 1901

    Ministering Children's League Convalescent Home was located in a rented house on the White Hills Road, near Evandale, Tasmania (Building Unknown)

  • 1901 - 1906

    Ministering Children's League Convalescent Home was located in a rented house called "Leighton" near Evandale Junction (now Western Junction), Tasmania (Building Still standing)

  • 1906 - 1953

    Ministering Children's League Convalescent Home was located at a house called "Maplestead" at 43 Station Road, St. Leonards, Tasmania (Building Still standing)

Image

Contact Find & Connect

Save page