• Organisation

New Town Rest Home


The New Town Rest Home, run by the government, replaced the New Town Infirmary in August 1934. It provided accommodation to children and adults placed there for many different reasons. In 1936, New Town Rest Home became St John’s Park.

The government changed the name of the New Town Infirmary to the New Town Rest Home in an attempt to avoid the stigma of poverty associated with the institution.

The Home provided temporary accommodation to state wards and permanent accommodation for people who were elderly and infirm, with chronic illnesses, or who were certified under the Mental Deficiency Act 1920.

  • From


  • To



  • 1934 - 1936

    New Town Rest Home was off New Town Road, New Town, Tasmania (Building Still standing)



Contact Find & Connect

Save page