The Daily Journal of Admissions and Discharges to Queen’s Orphan Schools provides the date of admission or discharge, the child’s age, and remarks. Access Conditions This item has been digitised and is available online via the Tasmanian Archives website.
The Register of children at Boys Home Lansdowne Crescent; Girls Industrial School, Hobart Training School for Females, St Josephs Orphanage for whom a Government Allowance is Payable provides the date of the child’s admission, name, date of birth, the fund for payment, by whose order admitted, the name of the ship of arrival, and the…
The Sisters of Charity Archives holds records relating to the order’s child welfare activities in Tasmania and New South Wales. The collection includes a few documents relating to the children admitted to St Joseph’s Orphanage, Tasmania. These include admission and departure books and baptismal certificates. Access Conditions Access is restricted because the records are fragile and…
The Records of Magdalen Home, which was located in Mount St Canice, Sandy Bay, Tasmania are held by the Good Shepherd Archive in Abbotsford, Victoria. Access Conditions Care leavers (and their families) wanting to find information about their time in care, or access personal files can contact Good Shepherd Archive. All requests for personal information…
The Personal Files of Children who Lived at the Home contain the correspondence, school results, and photographs of children living in the Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys, later known as Glenara. The photographs mainly belong to the 1970s and 1980s. Child, Youth and Family Services were told that staff at the home destroyed earlier files….
The Anchorage Home, run by the Ladies Christian Association, opened in 1889. It was initially in Hobart. Later it moved to New Town. The Home was for young single mothers having their first baby. It closed in 1920. The Anchorage Home opened on 17 September 1889 in Carr Street, off Argyle Street. The house had…
The Contagious Diseases Hospital was established at the Female Factory, Cascades in 1879. Initially the government ran it but in 1895, the committee of the Home of Mercy, a Church of England rescue home, took it over. The Hospital was for women and girls suffering from sexually transmitted diseases. It closed in 1900. The Contagious…
St Joseph’s Child Care Centre replaced St Joseph’s Orphanage (Aikenhead House), opening on 22 February 1970. It was located in Taroona and run by the Sisters of Charity. The Centre provided cottage accommodation for 30 children in three cottages, and also supervised the Family Group Homes of Villa Maria, Loreto, Carinya, and later, Bimbadeen. In…
St Joseph’s Waterton Hall, run by the Sisters of St Joseph’s, opened in 1951. It was a boarding school in Rowella for girls aged between 6 and 12. In 1952, the School became an approved institution for British child migrants but it never received any. It appears to have closed in the late 1960s or…
Hagley Farm School opened in 1936. It was run by the Tasmanian Education Department. In the 1940s, it provided a residential education to the children of Australian servicemen. From about 1948 until 1955, the School received child migrants from Belgium, Greece, and Britain. During the 1970s, it became Hagley Farm Primary School. The first migrant…