• Archival Item

Register of Admissions to the Reformatory Hulk and Boys Reformatory, Magill

To access these records

Please contact the State Records Research Centre:

Postal Address: GPO Box 464, Adelaide SA 5001

Phone: 08 7322 7077

Website: https://www.archives.sa.gov.au/contact-us

Reference Number

Quote this number to access your records: State Records of South Australia Unit ID, 1

Records Location


This register is a very large leather bound volume with ‘CASES BOOK – REFORMATORY HULK’ embossed on the spine.

Access Conditions

A Research Centre Members card, obtainable at the Archives, is required to research records held at State Records.

Although some very early records relating to children in care in South Australia are open for access, most records relating to children are subject to a 100 year restriction, particularly those which contain personal information about individuals. Written permission must be obtained from the government agency which created the record in order to access restricted material. To obtain permission a Freedom of Information (FOI) request form must be submitted to the relevant government department. State Records staff will be able to assist you with this.


The first half of the register, 1877-1895, refers to the Boys Reformatory Hulk; 1895-1898 becomes Reformatory School, Magill – handwritten change.
Contents – Title across top. Date in top left hand corner. Entries across two pages. Left hand page: (1) Number; (2) Name; (3) Age; (4) Ship; (5) How long in Australian colonies; (6) Date of arrival in South Australia; (7) Late place of residence; (8) What relatives in the colony, where living, earnings and occupation. Right hand page: (9) Nationality, (10) Religion, (11) Recommendation, (12) Reasons for requiring admission, (13) Date of Admission, (14) Date of leaving, (15) Where gone to. Notes on contents – From 1897 includes file reference, ie ‘Filed No.1 of 1896’ and in volume makes mention of ‘Industrial School Cases Book’. (15) Where gone to: includes transfer of Roman Catholic boys to the Boy’s Reformatory, Brooklyn Park on 7 March 1898.

Quantity: 1 register

  • From


  • To



Contact Find & Connect

Save page