• Organisation

Sisters of the Good Samaritan

Details

The Congregation of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan of the Order of Saint Benedict was established in 1866. They are more commonly known as the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. Prior to 1866 the Sisters were called the Good Shepherd Sisters but their title was changed to avoid confusion with an older Order of the same name that had recently arrived in Australia. The Sisters of the Good Samaritan ran many children’s homes around Sydney.

As their numbers grew, the Good Samaritans extended their work to education and visiting the sick and the poor. They devoted themselves to the care of orphans and neglected children at the Parramatta Roman Catholic Orphan School, at the Industrial School and Orphanage at Manly and later at Narellan, near Camden. Sisters taught at a number of denominational schools in Sydney, as well as country towns such as Wollongong, Windsor, Braidwood, Queanbeyan, Moruya and Campbelltown.

In 1901, the resumption of land for the construction of Central Railway Station saw the Order move to Toxteth House at Glebe, where St Scholastica’s Convent was established as their new mother house. The work of the Good Samaritans has spread interstate and overseas, and their work continues to the present. Their undertakings include education, liturgical and retreat centres, hospital chaplaincy, parish ministry and ministry to the aged, the sick and the dying, to young migrants, the handicapped, prisoners, homeless young people, Aboriginal Australians and outback families.

  • From

    1866

  • To

    Current

  • Alternative Names

    The Congregation of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan of the Order of Saint Benedict

  • URL

Chronology

Image

Contact Find & Connect

Save page