• Organisation

St Andrew's Presbyterian Boys' Hostel

Details

St Andrew’s Presbyterian Boys’ Hostel, Dubbo, opened in 1923 as a boarding hostel that provided accommodation to boys from remote areas so they could attend high school in Dubbo. The hostel was owned by the Presbyterian Church. By 1945 the hostel had closed.

St Andrew’s Presbyterian Boys’ Hostel, Dubbo, was officially opened in June 1923, however it began operating in January 1923. The Dubbo hostel was the fifth Presbyterian boarding hostel to open in New South Wales, other hostels having previously been opened in Wagga Wagga, Parkes, Glen Innes, and Stanmore.

The average number of boys in residence for the year 1925 was reported to be 23.5, however by July 1930 there were only two boys in residence. In 1932 the decision was made to sell the hostel, however over the next decade no buyer was found and so the hostel re-opened in 1942 following extensive renovations. At its reopening on the 1st of April 1942 the hostel provided residence to 22 boys, with accommodation for a total of 33 boys. By 1945 the hostel was purchased on behalf of the Country Women’s Association to be used as a boarding hostel for girls and was renamed the Matthew Robinson Girls’ Hostel.

  • From

    1923

  • To

    1945?

Locations

  • 1923 - 1945

    St Andrew's Presbyterian Boys' Hostel was situated on the corner of Bishop and Fitzroy streets, Dubbo., New South Wales (Building Unknown)

Contact Find & Connect

Save page