Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
New South Wales - Organisation
Reid Home (1922 - 1977)
- Children's Home, Orphanage, Home, Protestant, Uniting Church, Presbyterian, Cottage Home
Reid Home was opened as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes in September 1922 at North Parramatta. It was built by Mr and Mrs Andrew Reid for Scottish war orphans, but instead housed 22 Protestant orphans from Ireland, who arrived in 1922. Reid Home, along with the other Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes for Children, was evacuated during World War II. Reid was used for the Intelligence Branch of the Australian Army. After the evacuation ended in 1945, Reid became a kindergarten. It returned to being a cottage home in 1952 and closed in 1977.
Reid, along with Ivanhoe, Sargood Hall, Blackwood, Son of the Rock and Robertson, were leased by Redeemer Baptist School in 1986 then sold to the school in 1994.
- 1922 - 1977
- Location - Reid Home was situated at Pennant Hills Road, North Parramatta
- Collection Title
- Records held by Burnside Archives (1911 - )
- Date Range
- 1911 -
Please contact the Uniting Burnside Museum:
Postal Address: PO Box 7137 Silverwater, NSW 2128
Phone: 1800 864 846