The Central Mission Home was supported by the Ladies' Committee of the Sydney Central Methodist Mission and was situated in a house given for that purpose by businessman and philanthropist Ebenezer Vickery.
The aim of the Central Mission Home was stated in the Annual Report of 1895/96:
'the rescuing, body and soul, of those little street Arabs who are commonly known as nobody's children' and was later expressed in terms of 'rescuing the little waifs and strays from scenes of poverty, cruelty and neglect.'
Many of the children were not orphans but were admitted due to a variety of circumstances. Some eventually were returned to their families, while others where 'adopted' out.
By 1898 the Home in Woolloomooloo had become too small and in the following year the House Committee located a suitable property in Dalmar Street, Croydon. Waverley House was sold to raise funds for the new venture. In January 1900, the children moved into the new premises, and not long afterwards, the name 'Dalmar' was chosen.
The Wesleyan Mission 200 year anniversary web page describes the establishment of Waverley House:
'The home was created in response to the growing prevalence of child poverty, neglect and abuse, combined with widespread baby farming practices which were a cause for concern for church and community groups.'
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
09 November 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00281
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License