The La Perouse Training School was proclaimed on 28 July 1928 under the control of the Superintendent at Parramatta, with a Matron responsible for day to day operations.
The girls housed in La Perouse were deemed 'less depraved and younger' than those housed at Parramatta Girls Training Home, and 'whose general conduct and good health justify it'.
La Perouse was an 'open' institution and discipline was more relaxed. Girls were allowed a degree of freedom to enjoy its beach-side location. The school used the domestic science curriculum and emphasised training for domestic duties.
In December 1939 the annexe was closed and in 1940 Yarra Bay House was converted to a Truant School for Boys.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
20 December 2018
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01072
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License