Stewart House runs a short-term residential programme for New South Wales public school children that aims to improve children's health and wellbeing and provide them with respite from everyday life.
Planning for Stewart House began in 1929 when Dr Harvey Sutton, Chief Medical Officer for the New South Wales Department of Education, became concerned about the number of public school children who were malnourished. He formed the Hospital and Relief Society, with members of the Teachers Federation, with the aim of developing a small home to offer respite care and remedial nutrition to children in need.
The home, also known as a Preventorium, was built on Crown Land at South Curl Curl, with funds provided by Sir Frederick and Lady Stewart. It was opened by the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Phillip Game, in 1931. Since 1937 the Teachers Federation has, through a committee, run Stewart House. In 2013 it provides short-term respite care to 2,000 children a year.
02 June 2023
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01274
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License