By 1920 the facilities on Rabbit Island were vastly overcrowded. In August 1924, Milson Island was officially dedicated as part of the institution, which eventually became known as Peat and Milson Islands Hospital.
In this era there was no attempt to provide anything more for inmates than the basics of shelter and food. 'Treatment' involved cleanliness, but there was no physical or emotional support or therapy, or rehabilitation. Indeed, those who were able were expected to carry out heavy labour to maintain and improve the facility.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
13 February 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01658
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License