[Taken from 'Ipswich Hospital for the Insane (1910-1938)': UQ Ipswich Campus Progression of an Institution]
The institution expanded rapidly between 1910 and 1920.
'A lack of facilities for "sub-normal" children resulted in the building of a ward to accommodate thirty children, situated at the northern end of the site. Completed in 1933, the building was soon filled to capacity and by 1940 another wing had been added. It became known as Dagmare House. This was the first purpose built facility for children with an intellectually disability'
In 1938 the institution was renamed the Ipswich Mental Hospital.
16 May 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00612
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License