The two-storied timber home, known as 'Glenugie', was donated to the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches by the Archibald Family. The hostel was established in 1930 to provide board and residence to girls and young women from the country for a low fee. The 1958 Directory of Social Services, Queensland, describes single rooms, double rooms, or dormitories as the available accomodation for residents. Archibald House could provide accomodation for up to 36 residents.
When the W. R. Black home was evacuated during World War II, the older girls were sent to Archibald House. If there were no family members to take them in when they reached working age, they remained under the care of the Home Committee until they turned 21.
Presbyterian church records indicate that older girls from the Church-run 'out-of-care' institutions were sent to Archibald house to board in the 1940s. It became a permanent home for those girls working in Brisbane.
A closing date for Archibald House has not yet been determined, however it is not mentioned in the 1968 Directory of Social Services, Queensland, suggesting it may have closed by this date.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
19 October 2018
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00693
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License