In 1942, Horton House was donated to the Salvation Army by Mrs Nellie Alford. She was the daughter of James Horton, who originally built the house in the late 1800s.
When the Japanese entered World War Two, Mrs Alford donated her home to the Salvation Army in order to create a 'safe haven' for the girls who were to be evacuated from the Industrial School for Girls, Yeronga. In all, 41 girls moved into the Home in 1942.
The Home was officially opened 19 September 1942 and was called the James Horton Memorial Home, in memory of James Horton. The Home was licensed under the State Children Act 1911.
Renovations, extensions and the erection of a dormitory playshed were progressively carried out during 1944. A dining room was added in 1947.
The name changed to James Horton Industrial School for Girls in 1947.
30 April 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00853
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License