Wentworth House was opened by the Legacy Club of Adelaide at 18 Belmore Terrace, Woodville, in April 1945. The home had been donated to the Legacy Club of Adelaide anonymously. It provided accommodation for the children of deceased servicemen, many from the country, who were attending school or doing apprenticeships in the city. Demands for accommodation led to alterations and additions being made to Wentworth House so that by mid 1946 it had space for 13 'Legacy Wards' and a staff of two adults. The Hostel was often full to capacity and in 1946 Legacy purchased a second property at South Terrace, Adelaide, known as Waverley House. The two Hostels operated concurrently for several years.
The closing date of Wentworth House is not known, however, from 1960 all Legacy children were accommodated at Waverley House.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
17 November 2015
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE01237
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License