The Point McLeay Mission Station was established by the Aborigines' Friends' Association and the Reverend George Taplin in 1859 on the south banks of Lake Alexandrina in Ngarrindjeri country. It was established to provide assistance to the Aboriginal people of the Lower Lakes district. A school and cottages were constructed and a farm developed. Medical assistance and religious training were also supplied. Dormitories, referred to as boarding-houses or 'orphan houses' in the 1903-1904 Protector's Reports, were established at the Mission for 'orphan children'.
When Poonindie Mission closed in 1894 some families were transferred to Point McLeay Mission Station.
Poor land quality, lack of funding and competition from local farmers made it difficult for the Mission to be self sustaining. In 1916 the state government took over the Point McLeay Mission Station and it became a government reserve. At this time the dormitories for children were closed. However, the Mission continued to be referred to as a Mission Station well into the 1950s. In the 1923 Report suggestions were made that a training school and new dormitories for girls and 'orphan' boys be established, however, it appears new dormitories were not opened.
In 1974 Point McLeay was handed back to the Ngarrindjeri people, and in 1982 the settlement was renamed Raukkan.
Point McLeay Mission Station was mentioned in the Bringing Them Home Report (1997) as an institution that housed Indigenous children removed from their families.
06 May 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE01329
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License