The Queen Victoria Maternity Hospital was an initiative of women's groups, supported by Lady Gormanston, the wife of the Governor, who wished to provide more help to women in childbirth. It was established to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria which took place in the same year that the Hospital opened.
The Queen Victoria Hospital Association ran the Hospital and supported it with fees, donations, and subscriptions. The government contributed a small annual subsidy.
On 15 January 1929, following the 1928 Queen Victoria Hospital and Baby Health Association Incorporation Act, the two Associations merged.
As the costs of running the Hospital rose, the government subsidy had to increase as well. On 12 December 1952, Parliament repealed the 1928 Act and by the Queen Victoria Maternity Hospital Act made the government fully responsible for the Hospital's finances.
In 1972, the gynaecology section of the Launceston General Hospital was transferred to the Queen Victoria Maternity Hospital. The word 'maternity' was dropped from its name.
On 29 April 1987, Parliament repealed the Queen Victoria Maternity Hospital Act and the administration of the Hospital was transferred to the Launceston Public Hospitals District.
In 1995, maternity services were moved to the Queen Victoria Maternity Unit at the Launceston General Hospital and the Queen Victoria Hospital closed.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
23 October 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/tas/TE00960
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License