In 1976 Good Shepherd Youth and Family Service became an Incorporated Association and set up operations in Collingwood. Good Shepherd Youth and Family Service is a separate legal entity from the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. The Organisation continues the Sisters' work with children and families.
The Good Shepherd Sisters' involvement with children and women in need dates back to 1863 when they set up their convent at Abbotsford on the banks of the Yarra River. Services provided at Abbotsford included a refuge for women experiencing poverty and homelessness, an orphanage and an industrial school for juvenile offenders.
The Sisters adopted a policy of de-institutionalisation in 1973 and ceased providing 'care' in 1977. The Sisters formed an ongoing partnership with the employed staff at Good Shepherd Youth and Family Services.
Good Shepherd Youth and Family Services provides foster care for children and young people through its Living in Nurturing Communities program. It also works in the areas of family counselling and family strengthening to build family resilience.
In 1990, Good Shepherd expanded its services into the Mornington Peninsula region, and another office in St Albans opened in 1991.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
19 November 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000010
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License