Alvan House was established in 1950 with the personal support of the Commissioner for Native Affairs, Stanley Middleton. Its purpose was to provide hostel accommodation for 'near white' Aboriginal girls attending high school in Perth. There was a lot of community opposition to locating the hostel in Mt Lawley. The press was allowed access to Alvan House, and articles about the girls participating in community activities were not uncommon. It opened with the first residents in situ on 17 January 1951.
All residents of Alvan House were under the guardianship of the Commissioner for Native Welfare.
In 1959, responsibility for running Alvan House was passed to the Baptist Union and Aboriginal male students and young workers were accommodated instead of females. In 1961, the Katukutu Employment Hostel moved into the Alvan House premises. At that time, the house was described as having eight bedrooms for residents, a dining room, large kitchen, two toilets, and two bedrooms for houseparents.
08 April 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00008
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License