The Community of the Holy Name was formally established in 1912 in Melbourne, Victoria. Prior to this, founding member Emma Caroline Silcock (Sister Esther) oversaw the Melbourne Diocese's Deaconess Mission to the Streets and Lanes from 1888. For this reason, the Community celebrates the 6 September 1888 as its commencement date. In New South Wales, the Community began running children's Homes in 1929, and ran a number of institutions in various places including the dioceses of Newcastle and Goulburn.
Sources used to compile this entry: Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf; 'Our History' web page on the Community of the Holy Name website, http://www.chn.org.au/index.php/our-community/history-of-chn (accessed September 2015); T. W. Campbell, 'Religious Communities of the Anglican Communion - Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific', published in 2007, http://anglicanhistory.org/religious/campbell2007.pdf (accessed September 2015).
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 3 March 2011, Last modified: 11 August 2017