The Church of England (Anglican) Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn was first established as a separate diocese (the Diocese of Goulburn, New South Wales) in 1863. As the new city of Canberra developed in the early twentieth century, the Diocese of Goulburn also became responsible for Church of England activities in the Australian Capital Territory. The Church of England changed its name to the Anglican Church in 1983 and the Diocese followed suit. The Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn has been responsible for a number of children's homes in both New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. The Diocese manages records relating to St Saviour's Children's Home and Bungarimbil Home.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'A spreading of authority in the Catholic Church: Around the churches', The Canberra Times, 20 March 1971, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/110344113; 'Bishop renews appeal', The Canberra Times, 28 May 1980, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/110959665; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/319256/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 4 March 2011, Last modified: 15 May 2017