The Salesians of Don Bosco were founded by the Italian priest Saint John Bosco in the mid nineteenth century. The first Salesians came to Australia in 1922. The Salesians of Don Bosco ran Boys' Town institutions, including Boys' Town at Engadine, which it took over in 1952. The Salesians of Don Bosco withdrew from providing care at Boys' Town Engadine in 2008, although their teachings remain important in the philosophy of care at the home, which is now known as the Dunlea Centre.
Sources used to compile this entry: Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 7 March 2011, Last modified: 30 May 2014