The Sisters of the Good Shepherd is a Catholic women's religious order that ran the Home of the Good Shepherd in Ashfield (1913-1975), as well as Toongabbie (1948-1961) and Rosemount (1976-1981). The Sisters of the Good Shepherd are now based in Victoria and their records are held by Good Shepherd Archives in Abbotsford.
The Sisters of the Good Shepherd should not be confused with the Good Shepherd Sisters, who formed in 1857 and changed their name to the Good Samaritan Sisters in 1866.
On 24 June 1863 the first four Good Shepherd Sisters landed in Melbourne, having travelled from Angers in France at the request of Bishop James Goold of Melbourne. From there, foundations began in New South Wales, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, and Queensland.
Sources used to compile this entry: Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://insideblog.nma.gov.au/2011/02/11/connecting-kin/; This entry has been updated with information received from the record holders as part of the Records Access Documentation grants. The source documents are held in the eScholarship Research Centre files at the University of Melbourne.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 8 March 2011, Last modified: 22 August 2017