Kyle Williams Home, on the George's River at Blakehurst, was set up as a children's home under the terms of the will of Caroline Milne Williams in 1947. It was operated by Legacy from 1947 until 1985 then by the Presbyterian Social Services Department as a family group home. It was closed in 2003.
Mrs Williams left the house, land and money for Kyle Williams Home in trust, so the house could be converted to a convalescent home for children. The property was never, however, used for that purpose. In 1947 it was leased to Legacy House for no rent and was run as a children's home.
In 1985 the property was let for no rent to the Presbyterian Church of Australia (New South Wales), who ran it as a family group home for children and young people. This use ceased in 2003 when the government withdrew funding.
The house has stood vacant since 2003. In 2011 a legal case was opened to enable the Trust Company to apply the assets of the trust to charitable entities that provide care, support and rehabilitation to children.
Sources used to compile this entry: Hanson, Dallas, Why are they in children's homes: report of the ACOSS children's home intake survey, Australian Department of Social Services: Australian Council of Social Services, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra, 1979, 83 pp; Overell, Anne, The Trust Company (Australia) Ltd v Attorney-General (NSW)  NSWSC 323 (Supreme Court of New South Wales, White J, 18 March 2011), Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Non-Profit Studies: Legal Case Notes: Trusts and Wills, Queensland University of Technology, 2012. Also available at https://wiki.qut.edu.au/display/CPNS/The+Trust+Company+(Australia)+Ltd+v+Attorney-General+(NSW); Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://insideblog.nma.gov.au/2011/02/11/connecting-kin/.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 9 March 2011, Last modified: 9 December 2013