The Stanmore Rescue Home, also known as The Harbour, was run by the Salvation Army in Cambridge Street, Stanmore. It was established in 1896 to provide accommodation and care for women who were expecting babies (usually unmarried mothers) and those who had no other place to live. It closed in 1927-1928, at the same time the Girls' Industrial Home opened on another site in Cambridge Street, Stanmore.
Sources used to compile this entry: The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 9 March 2011, Last modified: 30 August 2013