The Fold was opened in Stanmore in 1920 by the Salvation Army. In 1925 it was relocated to George Street Marrickville. The home closed on 24 March 1942, and the girls were transferred to Canowindra Girls' Home (Lyndon House) at Canowindra.
The Fold was officially opened on 27 July 1920 by Commissioner James Hay of the Salvation Army. When it moved to George Street Marrickville the new premises were opened by Miss Millicent Preston Stanley MLA, on 11 December 1925.
Sources used to compile this entry: The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 9 March 2011, Last modified: 30 August 2013