Blairgowrie, also known as No 1 Cottage, was the first home opened as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes. Its name changed to No 2 Cottage in 1914 when Airlie was opened and took the name Blairgowrie in 1925. It served as a boys' home until 1912, then became a 'kindergarten home' for children under the age of seven. It was not used for housing children after 1952.
No 1 Cottage (Blairgowrie) was opened on 17 June 1911 by Lady Dudley, wife of the Governor General.
In 1942, Blairgowrie, along with the other Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes for Children, was evacuated during World War II, Blairgowrie serves as accommodation for Australian Army General Staff and Training Section
In 1997 Blairgowrie was remodelled as the Burnside Heritage Centre. In 2013 it was the Burnside Museum, meeting rooms and library.
Sources used to compile this entry: Blairgowrie [Document], Date: c. 2013; Keen, Susan, Burnside: 75 years of caring, Burnside Homes for Children, 1986; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 9 January 2019