Cumbrae was opened as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes in September 1912 at North Parramatta. It was the second cottage built at Burnside and was a girls' home. It was built to resemble a 'normal' home and remained a girls' home until 1984. It then became Cumbrae Therapeutic Unit, a residential programme for primary school students, until 1987.
During 1942 to 1945, the Burnside cottages were evacuated for World War II. During 1948 and 1962-1965 Cumbrae was remodelled.
Cumbrae became the Cumbrae Therapeutic Unit between 1985 and 1987, serving the needs of primary school-aged students who had been voluntarily committed by their parents.
Sources used to compile this entry: Cumbrae [Document], Date: c. 2013; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 10 March 2014