Dunkeld was opened as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes in May 1913 at North Parramatta. It was initially a boys' home then became a girls' home from 1919. In 1942, Dunkeld, along with the rest of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes for Children, was evacuated during World War II, Dunkeld served as Supplies and Transport for Australian Army. It remained a cottage home until 1983. It served as a residential unit from 1986 to 2000 and in 2012 was Dunkeld Family and Youth Support, operated by UnitingCare Burnside.
Sources used to compile this entry: Dunkeld [Document], Date: c. 2013; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://insideblog.nma.gov.au/2011/02/11/connecting-kin/.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 9 January 2019