Eskdale was opened as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes in November 1915 at North Parramatta. It was the fourth home at Burnside, and held 60 girls. It was not used for residential care after 1953.
With the rest of Burnside's cottages, 'Eskdale' was evacuated for the war in 1942. When the children returned Eskdale served as a temporary kindergarten, from 1945 to 1947, then became a girls' home in 1948. It was vacated in 1953 then stood empty until 1985, when it was converted for the Archives of the Uniting Church. It is now office space for UnitingCare Burnside.
Sources used to compile this entry: Eskdale [Document], Date: c. 2013; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 9 January 2019