Ivanhoe was opened as an infants' home as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes in January 1919 at North Parramatta. Children were evacuated from Burnside from 1942 to 1945, owing to World War II. When they returned Ivanhoe became a boys' home. In 1950 it was converted to a girls' home. In 1981 it was used to house Khmer children who had been resettled in Australia. It was closed in 1984.
In 1985, Ivanhoe, Robertson, Sargood Hall, Blackwood Home, Son of the Rock and Reid Home were leased to Redeemer Baptist School, then sold to the school in 1994.
Sources used to compile this entry: Ivanhoe [Document], Date: c. 2013; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 9 January 2019