Reid Home was opened as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes in September 1922 at North Parramatta. It was built by Mr and Mrs Andrew Reid for Scottish war orphans, but instead housed 22 Protestant orphans from Ireland, who arrived in 1922. Reid Home, along with the other Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes for Children, was evacuated during World War II. Reid was used for the Intelligence Branch of the Australian Army. After the evacuation ended in 1945, Reid became a kindergarten. It returned to being a cottage home in 1952 and closed in 1977.
Reid, along with Ivanhoe, Sargood Hall, Blackwood, Son of the Rock and Robertson, were leased by Redeemer Baptist School in 1986 then sold to the school in 1994.
Sources used to compile this entry: Reid [Document], Date: c. 2013; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 9 January 2019