Troup was opened as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes in October 1933 at North Parramatta. It had been 'Bramshaw' and was bought by Burnside in 1929. It was a home for kindergarten children. In 1968-1970 it became a home for babies and toddlers aged birth to three years, with an annexe called the Babies' and Toddlers' Centre. It closed in 1976.
Troup, along with the other Burnside Orphan Homes for Children, was evacuated during World War II. Troup was used by the Australian Army as Officers' Mess.
In 2012 Troup was the Garfield Barwick Special School, run by the Royal Institute for the Deaf and Blind Children.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'History', in Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children, Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children, 2012, http://www.ridbc.org.au/history; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://insideblog.nma.gov.au/2011/02/11/connecting-kin/; Troup [Document], Date: c. 2013.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 9 January 2019