Our Babies Home was founded in Enmore in 1894 by George Edward Ardill's Society for Providing Homes for Neglected Children. It moved to Knox Street, Newtown in 1897 then to Albemarle Street Camperdown in 1901. Our Babies Home closed in 1904 and the children moved to the Society's new premises at Rockdale.
Sources used to compile this entry: Radi, Heather, ''Ardill, George Edward (1857-1945)'', in Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, Melbourne University Press, 1979, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/ardill-george-edward-5048; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf; Thornton, Bruce, George Edward Ardill and the Sydney Rescue Work Society (now Communicare Sydney) [also titled "Haste to the Rescue"], Baptist Historical Society of New South Wales, Sydney, 2008, 118 pp.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 21 March 2011, Last modified: 30 August 2013