Melrose was a boys' home in Pendle Hill established by the United Protestant Association of New South Wales in 1952. It had a capacity of 25 and received 34 male British child migrants in the period 1952 to 1956. From 1956 it took Australian-born boys. Melrose closed in 1982.
Melrose was bought from sisters, Miss Bean and Mrs Bell, in 1948. It was converted to a children's home, with the official opening on 22 November 1952. In December 1980 the United Protestant Association closed the home, due to changing ideas about child care.
The building was demolished in 1992 and the site is used for aged care work.
Sources used to compile this entry: Agst, Thomas Urich [with Robert J Martin], The UPA Story, United Protestant Association of NSW Ltd, Wahroonga, n.d., 67 pp; Hanson, Dallas, Why are they in children's homes: report of the ACOSS children's home intake survey, Australian Department of Social Services: Australian Council of Social Services, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra, 1979, 83 pp; Immigration Museum, Stolen childhoods, Museum Victoria, 2011-2012, https://museumsvictoria.com.au/article/stolen-childhoods/; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 22 March 2011, Last modified: 25 October 2017