Murray Vale was a girls' home established by the United Protestant Association of New South Wales in Albury in 1958. Murray Vale was a girls' home. It closed in 1983.
Murray Vale was the second purpose-built home constructed by the UPA and used a similar plan to the Sunnylands. Murray Vale was opened by Thomas Agst, the founder of the United Protestant Association, on 12 April 1958.
The United Protestant Association's Ladies Auxiliary opened an op shop to raise funds for the girl's home in 1959, which still survives.
The Girls' Home Recreational Shed was reconstructed while the home was still in operation and reopened and named Lionel Heffner Recreational Room in 1982.
Murray Vale was converted to Shalem 1, a Dementia Home, in 1985. It was then demolished and replaced with a purpose-built dementia unit, part of the Murrayvale Complex.
Sources used to compile this entry: Agst, Thomas Urich [with Robert J Martin], The UPA Story, United Protestant Association of NSW Ltd, Wahroonga, n.d., 67 pp; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf; Correspondence between Find & Connect web resource team and United Protestant Association staff, 5 February 2013.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 22 March 2011, Last modified: 16 August 2013