Broken Hill Shelter was established around 1905 by the State Children's Relief Department as a remand home for children defined as delinquent and from 1923 was part of the Child Welfare Department. By the 1950s it mainly operated as housing for children awaiting their hearings at the nearby Broken Hill Children's Court. There was room for six boys and girls up to the age of 18 years. The shelter was transferred to the Department of Juvenile Justice in 1991. In 1993 it was functioning as a five-bed remand centre. It has since been closed.
Sources used to compile this entry: Atkinson, Lynn, 'An overview of juvenile detention in Australia', in National Conference on Juvenile Detention: Proceedings of a conference held 10-13 August 1993, Australian Institute of Criminology, Canberra, January 1994, https://web.archive.org/web/20170328060411/http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/publications/proceedings/25/atkinson.pdf; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Liam Hogan and Naomi Parry
Created: 23 March 2011, Last modified: 20 June 2014