Castle Hill House was bought by the Child Welfare Department in 1943 and used as a home for school-aged boys until 1982.
Castle Hill House was an estate house of 200 acres, originally granted to William McLaughlin, Esq. in the early 19th century. It was bought by the Child Welfare Department in 1943 and used as a home for school- aged boys until 1982.
The 1959 Annual Report of the Child Welfare Department described routines
at the Castle Hill House:
The boys travel back and forth to Carlingford school by bus each day unaccompanied by staff. Most of them belong to scouts and boys' groups in the neighbourhood ... Each boy is given pocket money of his own which he is allowed to spend as he wishes.
Sources used to compile this entry: Child Welfare Department, Annual Report: Child Welfare Department of New South Wales, New South Wales government, 1923-1970. Also available at https://www.opengov.nsw.gov.au/main; Castle Hill House, Interviewee: Jonathan Cannon, born 1958. Interviewer: Noelene Pullen. Date of Interview: January 2010. Transcription: Glenys Murray, January 2010., January 2010, http://www.thehills.nsw.gov.au/Library/Library-e-Resources/Hills-Voices-Online; McLean, Donald, Children In Need: An account of the administration and functions of the Child Welfare Department, New South Wales, Australia: with an examination of the principles involved in helping deprived and wayward children, Government Printer, Sydney, 1955, 173 pp; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf; Email correspondence from local resident, September - October 2017, Find & Connect Project Files, University of Melbourne eScholarship Resource Centre.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 28 April 2011, Last modified: 24 October 2017