The Anglican Homes for Children Association operated Milleewa Home for Boys in Ashfield and the Windsor Farm Home for Boys at Freeman's Reach. The Anglican Homes for Children Association is thought to have ended in about 1966, when Milleewa was handed to the Anglican Home Mission Society.
The Anglican Homes for Children Association wrote in its annual report of 1925 that it formed 'to promote and establish Homes for Children who were without regular homes or not under parental control. To ensure there would be no trace of institutionalisation, it was decided that no single home should accommodate more than twenty, it being considered that this number was the maximum to which any matron could give individual attention.'
The President of the Homes was Arthur Yates of Burwood.
Sources used to compile this entry: Annual report of the Anglican Homes for Children including Milleewa Home for Boys Ashfield and the Windsor Farm Home for Boys Freeman's Reach, Windsor / Anglican Homes for Children Association., Anglican Homes for Children Association (N.S.W.): D.S. Ford, Sydney, 1925-1940. Also available at http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/50798499; 'Milleewa Boys' Home', Sydney Morning Herald, 7 December 1931, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article16809761; 'Milleewa Home May Close', Sydney Morning Herald, 09 December 1946, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18018519.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 29 November 2011, Last modified: 30 August 2013