Our Boys' Home was established in 1890 in Camden by the Society for Providing Homes for Neglected Children. It was a farm training home and closed in 1945.
Our Boys' Home was founded by George Edward Ardill's Society for Providing Homes for Neglected Children, after a gift from Mr WH Paling, of Paling's Music Store in Sydney. It was intended as a farm training home and, like other institutions run by George Edward Ardill, such as the Home of Hope for Friendless and Fallen Women, arranged 'apprenticeships' for boys once they had left the home.
The Home closed in 1945 and the building was sold in 1946, later becoming known as Macquarie House.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Macquarie House', in State Heritage Register, NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, https://www.hms.heritage.nsw.gov.au/App/Item/ViewItem?itemId=1280110; Robinson, Steve, 'Grasmere', in Dictionary of Sydney, Dictionary of Sydney Trust, 2008, http://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/grasmere.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 7 March 2012, Last modified: 15 October 2020