Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
New South Wales - Organisation
Care Leavers Australia Network (2000 - )
- Advocacy Body and Support Service
- Alternative Names
- Care Leavers Australasia Network (also known as)
- CLAN (acronym)
Care Leavers Australia Network (CLAN), founded in 2000 in Bankstown, in Sydney, is a support and advocacy group for people brought up in care away from their family as state wards or Home children raised in Children's Homes, orphanages or other institutions, or in foster care. CLAN is also for anyone who has a close family member who was placed in 'care'. The founding members of CLAN are Leonie Sheedy and Joanna Penglase, both 'care leavers' who had for years been involved in awareness-raising about the issues facing people who experienced out of home 'care' as children.
- Penglase, Joanna, Orphans of the living: growing up in care in twentieth-century Australia, Curtin University Books/Fremantle Press, Fremantle, 2005, 384 pp. Details
- 'Submission 272', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, 2005, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist. Details
- 'The Forgotten Australians, Business of the House, Speakers Hornery Ms Sonia; Goward Ms Pru; Ashton Mr Alan; Maguire Mr Daryl; Morris Mr Matthew', in Hansard: NSW Legislative Assembly by date, Hansard, NSW Parliament, 25 November 2010, https://api.parliament.nsw.gov.au/api/hansard/search/daily/pdf/HANSARD-1323879322-61890. Details
- Benns, Matthew, 'Rees offers apology to casualties of care system', The Sydney Morning Herald, 20 September 2009, http://www.smh.com.au/national/rees-offers-apology-to-casualties-of-care-system-20090919-fw4b.html?skin=text-only. Details
- Kenneally, Christine, 'The Forgotten Ones: half a million lost childhoods', The Monthly, no. 81, August 2012, http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2012/august/1354057131/christine-kenneally/forgotten-ones. Details
- Prime Minister says sorry
- 16 November 2009
- CLAN postcard "Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse"
- Care Leavers Australasia Network (CLAN)
Sources used to compile this entry: Penglase, Joanna, Orphans of the living: growing up in care in twentieth-century Australia, Curtin University Books/Fremantle Press, Fremantle, 2005, 384 pp.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 23 April 2012, Last modified: 7 June 2016