The Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia was formed in 1981, from the 17 Australian congregations of the Religious Sisters of Mercy. The Institute of the Sisters of Mercy followed the lead of Catherine McAuley, who founded the Sisters of Mercy in Ireland in 1831. Catherine McAuley wanted to support those who were marginalised and oppressed by unjust social attitudes and practices of her day. She established a House of Mercy in Dublin to provide educational, religious and social services for women and children who were at risk of homelessness through exploitation and entrenched poverty. The Religious Sisters of Mercy arrived in Sydney in 1865 and established their first convent in The Rocks, under the leadership of Elizabeth McQuoin.
1884 - 2011 Sisters of Mercy, Grafton Congregation
1981 - 2011 Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia
2011 - Institute of Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea
Sources used to compile this entry: Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea, Institute of Sisters of Mercy of Australia, 2011, http://institute.mercy.org.au/; Sisters of Mercy, Singleton (RSM), Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle, 2013, https://www.mn.catholic.org.au/church-mission/catholic-life/religious-congregations/sisters-of-mercy-in-australia-and-papua-new-guinea/; Institute of Sisters of Mercy in Australia and Papua New Guinea: History, Institute of Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea, https://mercy.org.au/stories/beginning-with-catherine-mcauley/.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 14 August 2012, Last modified: 8 October 2014