Hall for Children was established in the 1970s at Hazelbrook, between Queens Road and Hall Parade, in a building called 'Oaklands'. It was a non-government home for children and young adults with disabilities. The Hall for Children was closed in 1997, after a public scandal about its operation. Residents were relocated to community-based homes and placed in other services.
The building 'Oaklands' dates from 1908 and was originally the R.T. Hall Sanatorium, a philanthropic hospital caring for tuberculosis (TB) patients. During its time as the Hall for Children it was modified by the addition of a gymnasium and other wings. Since 2009 it has been owned by Korowal, an independent school.
Sources used to compile this entry: Hall For Children, Legislative Council of New South Wales, 8 April 1997, Hansard, NSW Parliament, 1997, https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Hansard/Pages/HansardResult.aspx#/docid/HANSARD-1820781676-11459.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 19 September 2012, Last modified: 9 July 2013