Gunning House at Homebush was a hostel for youth migrants that was set up by the Big Brother Movement in 1951. In its first year of operation 61 newly arrived 'Little Brothers' were accommodated for lengthy periods. In 1954, 325 young people were accommodated for varying periods during the year. Gunning House closed around 1982.
Gunning House was established to be a hostel to provide initial accommodation for Little Brothers who wished to work in skilled trades or in commerce. By the late 1950s, city work was becoming more common than farming as employment for Big Brother Movement's youth migrants.
Mr Tom Gunning of Mosman left the funds for the purchase of a house to the Big Brother Movement, who renovated it to cater for up to 30 young people at a time.
Gunning House was run by a sub-committee comprising Sir John Pagan, Mr TF Best and Mr RM Muller. The first manager, Mr Bob Holley was also Employment and Welfare officer.
In its first year of operation 61 newly arrived Little Brothers were accommodated for lengthy periods. The Home also took in youth migrants who were on holidays from the country, convalescent from illness or accident, etc. By 1954 the use of the hostel had grown to the extent that 325 young people were accommodated for varying periods during the year.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Gunning House', in Big Brother Movement Ltd Youth Support, BBM Ltd Youth Support, 2012, https://www.bbm.asn.au/big-brother-movement/gunning-house/; 'Our Heritage', in Big Brother Movement Ltd Youth Support, BBM Ltd Youth Support, 2012, http://www.bbm.asn.au/bbm-youth-support/big-brother-movement/.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 5 November 2012, Last modified: 12 April 2019