Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
New South Wales - Organisation

Male Orphan School (1819 - 1850)

From
1819
To
1850
Categories
Children's Home, Government-run and Home

The Male Orphan School was established by Governor Macquarie in 1819 to house destitute boys aged between seven and ten. The boys were given a basic education and later, farm skills. In 1823 the School relocated to Cabramatta to premises on land previously occupied by the Female Orphan School. In 1850, the Male Orphan School and the Female Orphan School came together to form the Protestant Orphan School in Parramatta.

Details

The Male Orphan School closed on 30 April 1850.

Location

1819 - c. 1823
Location - The Male Orphan School was situated on George Street, Sydney. Location: Sydney
1823 - 1850
Location - The Male Orphan School was situated off Elizabeth Drive, Cabramatta. Location: Cabramatta

Timeline

 1819 - 1850 Male Orphan School
       1850 - 1886 Protestant Orphan School

Related Organisations

Publications

Online Resources

Photos

Orphan School Estates Act 1826
Title
Orphan School Estates Act 1826
Type
Document
Date
1826

Details

Prepared by: Naomi Parry