The National Council of Women Hostel, at 5 Bligh Street Sydney, was a hostel for needy women and girls run by the National Council of Women in the 1930s. Opening in late 1931, it provided short term accommodation for up to 15 women whilst they were looking for work or experiencing difficult circumstances. Board for the women was 5 shillings a week, and could be paid in relief coupons or out of the committee funds if residents could not afford to pay it.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Survey of Social Agencies', Australian Women's Weekly, 15 July 1933. Also available at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/48075198.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 8 August 2013, Last modified: 19 November 2018