The Society for the Relief of Destitute Children was formed in Sydney in 1852 by members of the Benevolent Society of New South Wales. It was a separate organisation and ran the Asylum for Destitute Children at Ormond House in Paddington (1852-1858) and the Randwick Asylum for Destitute Children. The Society was incorporated in 1857 under a special Act of Parliament. The Society was dissolved after 1915.
Sources used to compile this entry: Horsburgh, Michael, 'The Randwick Asylum: Organizational Resistance to Social Change', Australian Social Work, vol. 30, no. 1, 1977, pp. 15-24; 'Randwick Asylum for Destitute Children', in Museums of History NSW website, Museums of History NSW, https://mhnsw.au/guides/randwick-asylum-destitute-children/.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 20 August 2013, Last modified: 6 February 2015